Thursday, March 19, 2009

Everything I have learned about fly fishing in Maui - Part I


Every so often life throws you a winning lottery ticket. That ticket can take many forms, for example a free drink at McDonald's instead of an impossible to win Monopoly game piece. In my case, I have won several lotteries in life.

The first at age 3, my parents moved us from Iowa to Montana. Each waking breath I take I am thankful for that decision. The next was a father who took his son fishing - a gift that will never fail. And then, I was introduced to fly fishing.

Blessed to live in a state that boasts some of the world's finest waters and opportunities, it never occurred to me that fate would strike again - a place of our own in Maui.

Who could imagine having a home in Montana, a love for fly fishing and the outdoors and then a place on a magical island we have now come to love. Our first winter here in 2007 was three weeks of bliss. We immersed ourselves into the island life, hiking, swimming, snorkeling and I even brought a bike over from the mainland. Even though I watched a lot of the locals fish, it never once occurred to me that I could fly fish in Maui.

Because of an ancient fish pond and sea wall, our condo unit is oceanfront and actually sits less than 40 feet from the shoreline. From the lanai we see most of the daily activities, snorkelers, canoes, kayaks, whales, paddle surfers, turtles and several folks who should keep their clothes on. One evening late into that first trip, I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a fly fisherman on the reef that sits just to the east of our building. A pair of binoculars confirmed that he was indeed fly fishing.

Heart pounding, six flights of stairs and a 1000 yard sprint later, I met the man who would change my wife's trips to Maui forever. His name is Terry Doyle - a Maui artist and taxidermist. In heavy breath I met him right as he hit the beach coming off the reef. He happily obliged my desire to learn more about what he was doing and answered about 400 questions.

It was the start I needed. Enough to be dangerously ignorant, but to attack the waters boldly. Now I just needed some gear and more advice.

Find out in my next post what Terry taught me about fly fishing on Maui and how Jim and Matt at the Kingfisher Fly Shop in Missoula helped me kick off a new passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment